What's new

Exercise Makes for a More Productive Day

ImagineIt!

There was a time when I would roll out of bed, throw on my running clothes and run three miles first thing in the morning. When I couldn't run anymore because of an injury, I joined a gym and would workout before I did anything else. When I somehow ended up having three large dogs, I felt I owed it to them to get them exercised in the morning. I quit going to the gym and started going to the dog park instead. All of my dogs have now passed, but I don't seem to be able to get myself back into my morning workout routine. I know that I was more productive when I worked out in the morning. It seemed to give me energy for the day. I occasionally workout with an app on my phone, but I haven't been consistent enough with it for it to make a difference. Is it just a matter of forcing myself until it becomes a habit again? I keep resolving to do it, but not following through. And, of all times, right now I need the energy I get from working out.

Termar30

This is exactly what happened to me. I was getting up really early heading out for a walk and working my way up to a run. I became much more energetic, I stopped eating meat and became a pescatarian. I felt good and stronger. My husband and I were planning on adopting children and I felt I needed that to keep up with kids. After the adoption was completed I stopped walking/running. I felt there wasn't enough time to do everything and that is what I cut out. I was so wrong. I have become more tired and have more medical issues than ever before. I have two dogs but I don't get them out to walk them as often as I should. Being motivated to move is difficult. Sometimes I think that if I wasn't trying to push myself I would start exercising more just because I'm not trying to shame myself into it. Maybe trying something new might give us a spark to take better care of ourselves. Keep a smile and don't beat yourself up over it. You will become motivated again by something, just like you did in the past.

AllisonE

Try using a personal trainer! That way you are accountable to someone who is counting on you showing up and you look forward to completing that goal for the day. Like when your dogs needed you to give them exercise, you'd feel that you need to meet with the trainer.
🙂

ImagineIt!

This is exactly what happened to me. I was getting up really early heading out for a walk and working my way up to a run. I became much more energetic, I stopped eating meat and became a pescatarian. I felt good and stronger. My husband and I were planning on adopting children and I felt I needed that to keep up with kids. After the adoption was completed I stopped walking/running. I felt there wasn't enough time to do everything and that is what I cut out. I was so wrong. I have become more tired and have more medical issues than ever before. I have two dogs but I don't get them out to walk them as often as I should. Being motivated to move is difficult. Sometimes I think that if I wasn't trying to push myself I would start exercising more just because I'm not trying to shame myself into it. Maybe trying something new might give us a spark to take better care of ourselves. Keep a smile and don't beat yourself up over it. You will become motivated again by something, just like you did in the past.
Thank you for those words. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. You may have something there about shaming -- there's a lot of that in my self-talk. I'm thinking I'll start off slow; not try to pick up where I left off, which would probably kill me. Maybe just 10 minutes a day, something I can easily work in. Hopefully, as I begin to feel better, I'll automatically want to do more. Good luck to you as well.

ImagineIt!

Try using a personal trainer! That way you are accountable to someone who is counting on you showing up and you look forward to completing that goal for the day. Like when your dogs needed you to give them exercise, you'd feel that you need to meet with the trainer.
🙂
That's not a bad idea either. Guess I just didn't want to cough up the money for a trainer. But, you're right about how I felt accountable to my dogs. Maybe if I find a workout buddy it would be similar. Thanks.