What's new

Empowering Self-Talk

Master

Heya fellas!

So I was thinking about this topic of empowering self-talk.

It's something like Law of Attraction, I guess.

The main idea is that you have this routine where you say self-empowering things until they stick deep in your subconcious.

I've tried this myself and I found that it really does help.

What do you think?

settinggoals321

I think this is actually a really productive method. Saying positive things about oneself can really improve one's self-perception. Saying negative things about oneself can have negative results in a similar way that saying positive things about oneself can create positive results. So, in addition to saying self-empowering things about oneself, one should avoid saying negative things about oneself altogether. Of course, acknowledging room for improvement is usually a good thing, but outright negative and critical words can be harmful. So, avoiding harsh self-criticism altogether is a good method too. I know several people who are prone to such things, and I try to tell them not to say negative things about themselves, but it can be difficult for them to shake the habit. This is why saying self-empowering things can be a positive method one can use as self-help. In short, yes, I agree that saying self-empowering things can be really helpful, and I hope more people use this routine as a part of their self-help methods.

Master

I think this is actually a really productive method. Saying positive things about oneself can really improve one's self-perception. Saying negative things about oneself can have negative results in a similar way that saying positive things about oneself can create positive results. So, in addition to saying self-empowering things about oneself, one should avoid saying negative things about oneself altogether. Of course, acknowledging room for improvement is usually a good thing, but outright negative and critical words can be harmful. So, avoiding harsh self-criticism altogether is a good method too. I know several people who are prone to such things, and I try to tell them not to say negative things about themselves, but it can be difficult for them to shake the habit. This is why saying self-empowering things can be a positive method one can use as self-help. In short, yes, I agree that saying self-empowering things can be really helpful, and I hope more people use this routine as a part of their self-help methods.
Exactly! Thank you for the quality input.

I love the idea of posting affirmations on bathroom mirrors!

Also... jot down the most positive aspects of your life, gratitudes, hopes...and keep the paper under your pillow.

mr0001

Yes! I'm a big believer in empowerment self-talk! And I love watching videos online related to that.

There's the one that Gina Rodriguez mentioned in her acceptance speech when she won a Golden Globe in 2015. When she was growing up, her dad made her stand in front of the mirror every day and say, "Today's going to be a great day. I can and I will." The video is available on Youtube and I'm not gonna lie, it definitely made me tear up a bit!

negedemeg

Yes, you have to think and speak these affirmations in order for them to manifest in your real life. It makes sense because confidence and feeling good about yourself starts from within. I like to repeat them in the mirror or even random times during the day. It's a good habit to develop certainly.

CBNerd12

I think that empowering self-talk is an incredibly beneficial! It kind of reminds me of the "Little Engine that Could!" Another smaller, but no less powerful, way of implementing positive self-talk in your everyday life is to really change the way that you refer to yourself in casual speech or your own thought process, which goes a long way to reaffirming the identity you want yourself to have. For example, if you're really trying to quit smoking, it might be really helpful to refer to yourself as a non-smoker, which lets you label yourself as "someone who doesn't smoke," which over time, may make it easier to not pick up a cigarette than it might if refer to yourself as a "smoker trying to quit," or something along those lines. Additionally, over time, other people start to pick up on little things like that and start referring to you that way as well, which then becomes nice external reinforcement! At least it has in my case when I've tried it!