What's new

Daring Greatly: Engaged Feedback Checklist – Brene Brown

A_Albe

Giving feedback can be one of the hardest tasks to accomplish, especially in personal matters! How do you make sure your feedback is given in a positive manner, so your listener is more open to receiving it? How do you stand firm in providing constructive feedback? I like to use this checklist on Engaged Feedback from Brene Brown to guide me. Download the checklist

What are some ways you give positive feedback?

I know I’m ready to give feedback when:

• I’m ready to sit next to you rather than across from you.
  • I’m willing to put the problem in front of us rather than between us (or sliding it toward you).
  • I’m ready to listen, ask questions, and accept that I may not fully understand the issue.
  • I want to acknowledge what you do well instead of picking apart your mistakes.
  • I recognize your strengths and how you can use them to address your challenges.
  • I can hold you accountable without shaming or blaming you.
  • I’m willing to own my part.
  • I can genuinely thank you for your efforts rather than criticize you for your failings.
  • I can talk about how resolving these challenges will lead to your growth and opportunity.
  • I can model the vulnerability and openness that I expect to see from you.

jtribbett1

Thank you for sharing! I have listened to Brene Brown on some of my favorite podcasts and I made a note to read her books. Very insightful.

But to answer your questions: I give positive feedback by first checking myself and understanding what the person is saying/doing. I recognize that I have a problem with being judgmental at times, which I am trying very hard to change. I always try to come from a place of love and respect for that person and their journey. And it's important to know if someone actually wants feedback.