[CLOSED] $100 Beta Tester Prize announcement! Contest #1 (Deadline Thursday, September 6, 2018)

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Beta Testing Team!
I hope you are enjoying learning how to remember names with the Name Skillz App. Today I'm announcing a "thank you" to be awarded to the user with the best feedback. ONE WINNER chosen randomly from the TOP 5 reviewers will be awarded the $100 by PayPal, iTunes Gift Card, or Google Play Gift Card (your choice). Here's how the selection process will work

1. The Name Skillz development team will award points for
  • Thoroughness,
  • Thoughtful suggestions, and
  • Unique finds
2. Earn bonus points for providing a review or testimonial for our website. (Good or bad... it's okay!)

3. You can add to your feedback entry anytime up to the deadline by replying to your own thread.

Deadline: Thursday, September 6, 2018

To Enter:

1. Post your review as a new thread or as a reply to this message in the "Name Skillz App Beta Testers Feedback" Forum at https://neuroskillzclub.com/forums/Name-Skillz-App-Beta-Testers/

2. You must be a registered member of NeuroSkillzClub.com

3. Complete your post by 11:59PM on Thursday, September 6, 2018 Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)

ONE WINNER chosen randomly from the TOP 5 reviewers will be awarded the $100 by PayPal, iTunes Gift Card, or Google Play Gift Card (your choice). You'll be notified through your contact options in your NeuroSkillz Club Profile and your email registered with the Beta Test.

How to become a Beta Tester

1. Sign up at http://nameskillz.com/betatest/
2. An invite email will be sent to you within 24 hours
3. Follow the instructions on the invite email from Google Play or iTunes

Last edited:
This is so interesting because I definitely need help remembering people's names! I used to be so good at knowing people's names when I was younger - to the point that even if I wanted to forget someone's name, I'd remember. But now, I literally couldn't even remember your name if you just told me!

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This is so interesting because I definitely need help remembering people's names! I used to be so good at knowing people's names when I was younger - to the point that even if I wanted to forget someone's name, I'd remember. But now, I literally couldn't even remember your name if you just told me!
Yeah. That used to be me too. I started studying memory techniques from books and this method was just so awesome that I had to create an app to share it with others. :)

Hi Mary
Congratulations on this app. It is so impressive.
I remember that at the first MBA mixer event I attended, one of my classmates blew us all away by asking a group of about 30 of us our names, and then repeating them all back to us without a single mistake or moment's hesitation. He said the secret was creating pictures in his head and then linking them. I always wondered how he did that, and now I get the chance to "look behind the curtain."
So far I did all the lessons, went through one set of cards, and then reviewed them.
I liked all the lessons, although #3 had a lot more content than #1 and #2 put together. The instructor's voice is appropriate, the look of the app is very easy on the eyes and appropriate. For the pop quizzes, I wasn't sure if you used a green check mark consistently to mark correct answers. I thought I saw check marks in Quiz #1, but I'm sure there were none for #2. I like the check marks. I also wonder what the penalty is for failing a pop quiz. Do they have to repeat the whole lesson?
I was a little surprised to learn that I will have to train on this app daily for the near future. You explained very well why I should have to. I just wonder if most people will feel lazy and not bother. I was expecting the app to be a sort of dictionary that I could call up when I meet new people. So if I meet a new "Jennifer" I would just look up that name on the app and see the association to "Janitor". Of course it's smarter to have that association already in my back pocket when I should meet her, but I wonder how many people are that proactive?
Of the 10 cards I received, 3 of them were exactly what I would have chosen, 5 were more of a stretch but ok, and 2 did not resonate with me. I am not that tech-savvy; so I am not sure I know how to edit the card by taking a photo, etc. I would probably change the text only and not bother with the picture, which is probably an ineffective edit. Maybe there could be a demo of how to edit a card?
Top 200 names for the US makes a lot of sense. I just wonder about the trendier names with unique spellings (Jordyn vs. Jordan, for example), as well as ethnic names. Will there be some capacity to add more cards to the app in the future? Maybe a card set for top 200 baby names of the past 10 years, top Latino-influenced names, or just # 201-500 top names?
Tomorrow I will try another review and try another set of new cards. I will make an attempt to edit a card as well.

Laura

Hi Mary,

Thank you for offering this beta test of your new app! I tried your app and found it very cute, helpful, and really fun! I like the speakers' voices, which are very clear, easy to understand, and pleasant to listen to. I also enjoyed the colorful illustrations and found the instructions/tips easy to comprehend and to follow (and I was glad that at the end of each lesson I scored 100% on the quiz). Besides, I like the fact that the cards are mostly intuitive and amusing! It was almost like playing a game, and I love games, including those with fun and colorful cards!
However, I didn't always enjoy the practice, although I and have a few suggestions that you might want to consider implementing in order to improve your app.

While I was practicing, some of the associations suggested by the app were not helping me remember the corresponding name, because those associations referred to something that either did not remind me enough of the personal name or that at times was kind of unpleasant for me to think about (e.g. the ant tee and the like).
In this regard, my suggestion is to open a section in your forum or on facebook, where everyone is invited to write their own associations, and then to make a poll, in order to pick up the best associations! As you know people support what they build…and it could be even fun for everyone to come up with new "peculiar" associations.
After selecting the best associations, you could add a list of alternatives for each card and the corresponding name.
Another thing I would add/change is to allow users to choose both the association image and word for each personal name among the variety of associations that you provide after making your list of alternatives, in addition to giving them the possibility to choose in their phone galleries.
My last suggestion is actually regarding your forum: you might want to consider to keep it simple and focused on a few topics. Less is more. : )
In conclusion, I really appreciated having the chance to try your app and think your app can be a very helpful tool to learn how to better remember personal names – and from there, why not, all names in general – for everyone, at any age. Wishing you success on this valuable tool and would love for you to get back to your testing team and let us know how the launch of your app is going. Thanks again. : )

Last edited:
Initial thoughts - The voice of “Mary” is very pleasant and easily tolerated. A lot of Apps that use voices tend to have an overly computerized ‘droning’ voice that is off putting so Mary’s voice is nice change of pace.

The introduction is not too long and is well paced. It kept me interested, engaged and drew me in. I was excited to move along in the program.

Lesson One - Short and sweet. Perfect for familiarizing the user with the apps interface and letting them know what to expect in future lessons. I have no suggestions for improvement thus far.

Lesson Two - The pace was just as nice and easy to follow as it was in lesson one. It was longer than the first lesson (as to be expected) but not so long as to lose the user's attention. Kudos on that. My only thoughts are that the options for most of the multiple choice questions are a give away. None of the options were “tricky” enough to trip up someone and I’d have to say that even if I hadn’t listened to the Lesson I would have been able to pick the right answers anyway. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it can be viewed as being a bit leading or too obvious to be useful.

Lesson Three - Much like lesson two it’s well paced, engaging and easy to follow. Same thoughts on the multiple choice options but I assume this was something done because the app is still in its early stages of development.

Additional thoughts after completing the first Three lessons: Love the user interface. It is modern enough that younger users will find it pleasant yet simple enough that older or perhaps less tech savvy individuals will not find it difficult to use. You have struck a seldom achieved middle ground with this so congratulations to you and your team of developers. As someone that often has to help less technically savvy individuals with things of this nature I think anyone at any skill level could navigate this application with ease.

Profile - I was able to change my display name to Ecoleman24 but when I selected a picture from my phones gallery it didn’t show up. (I tired to do this twice) I’m not sure if images have to be approved or if this is a glitch in the application.

Under the Menu on the Left (the three lines) - all options are still disabled and do nothing when clicked/touched (again something that I assumed was done since this is still being Beta tested but thought I’d mention it just in case) CORRECTION: after closing the app and reopening it all of those options now work. Not sure if that is an glitch or not. Will leave app open and check it again to see if the issue repeats itself at any time. EDIT: After the app was open for a while the third time those menu options became unclickable again. I had to close the app and reopen it in order to access those menu items.

Reviewing the first 10 cards - I could not recall the association of 2 of the 10 cards and even though I pressed the red X when asked if I recalled the association at the end of the review it still said I that I recalled 10 out of 10. (screenshot) I will repeat this review and see if it happens again. I repeated it and still marked X on Linda/Lint and James/Chains and it still said I got 10 out of 10. I would suggest looking into this. Something in the coding must be registering all response as Good/Green regardless of what’s clicked.

I like the fact that when a name commonly associated with women comes up a female voice is used and when a name commonly associated with men comes up a male voice is used. With that said, I feel I must mention that with all of the buzz surrounding how everything is being gendered you might want to reconsider that. Some people are looking for a reason to be offended and I’d hate for you to get a bad review due to things that are still a hot and debatable topic in society at the moment. I find the change in voice useful and I personally am not offended, but that is a societal gray area right now so you may want to tread carefully on that point.

Reviewing 20 cards - I like how the first 10 cars were incorporated into the mix. That is a good way to test long term memory retention so kudos again. I would call that aspect of the app a success seeing as how I was able to recall all 10 of the first cards during the review of the second batch. The app is still giving me a perfect score despite having clicked the red X a few times during the 20. (screenshot) EDIT: Even with clicking X on all 20 it still gave me the Great job you recalled 20 out of 30 names.

NOTE: Under the People section it says you have to correctly memorize 30 names to unlock it. I’m guessing it unlocked after the 3rd practice session because it is giving me a perfect score despite me having clicked the red X due to me not recalling a couple of names.

Under the People section it did accurately count/record my Green checks and Red X’s (screenshot)

Left Side Menu - Again after opening the menu twice the options became unclickable. The were functional the first two times I opened it but not on the third time. The app itself then froze on me and I had to shut it down and reopen it.

Change Image Feature - Take new image and use works great. Upload from phone gallery works great as well. I love this option. It makes it more personal to each user.

Neuro Skillz Club Website and Forum - The look of the website is crisp and clean, love the logo it looks like a brain and brainstem ^_^. I like the layout and look even if I would do something a little different than blue on a darker blue. It has a smoothly functioning User Interface and the forum is easy to navigate. It is easy enough to use that even a beginner would have no issues and it has enough bells and whistles to make seasoned internet guru’s happy. My favorite feature it the ability to like other’s comments nd posts and follow users who post topics that interest you.

Thank you again for the early access. I enjoyed testing out the application ^_^

Attachments

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mary
Congratulations on this app. It is so impressive.
I remember that at the first MBA mixer event I attended, one of my classmates blew us all away by asking a group of about 30 of us our names, and then repeating them all back to us without a single mistake or moment's hesitation. He said the secret was creating pictures in his head and then linking them. I always wondered how he did that, and now I get the chance to "look behind the curtain."
So far I did all the lessons, went through one set of cards, and then reviewed them.
I liked all the lessons, although #3 had a lot more content than #1 and #2 put together. The instructor's voice is appropriate, the look of the app is very easy on the eyes and appropriate. For the pop quizzes, I wasn't sure if you used a green check mark consistently to mark correct answers. I thought I saw check marks in Quiz #1, but I'm sure there were none for #2. I like the check marks. I also wonder what the penalty is for failing a pop quiz. Do they have to repeat the whole lesson?
I was a little surprised to learn that I will have to train on this app daily for the near future. You explained very well why I should have to. I just wonder if most people will feel lazy and not bother. I was expecting the app to be a sort of dictionary that I could call up when I meet new people. So if I meet a new "Jennifer" I would just look up that name on the app and see the association to "Janitor". Of course it's smarter to have that association already in my back pocket when I should meet her, but I wonder how many people are that proactive?
Of the 10 cards I received, 3 of them were exactly what I would have chosen, 5 were more of a stretch but ok, and 2 did not resonate with me. I am not that tech-savvy; so I am not sure I know how to edit the card by taking a photo, etc. I would probably change the text only and not bother with the picture, which is probably an ineffective edit. Maybe there could be a demo of how to edit a card?
Top 200 names for the US makes a lot of sense. I just wonder about the trendier names with unique spellings (Jordyn vs. Jordan, for example), as well as ethnic names. Will there be some capacity to add more cards to the app in the future? Maybe a card set for top 200 baby names of the past 10 years, top Latino-influenced names, or just # 201-500 top names?
Tomorrow I will try another review and try another set of new cards. I will make an attempt to edit a card as well.
@VinceFromMontreal
Wow, Vince. Great feedback! Thank you.

I really like that you put down your thoughts and ideas that you were wondering about the app. It really helps me or I can see places people are commonly struggling with.

As I think that you were starting to piece together, yes, the app is not a cheat sheet or dictionary. It's really meant "to teach a man to fish" as the saying goes. The I wonder if I should make that more clear in the tutorial. I'm starting to think that chapter 3 needs to be split up also.

Based on what you've said and others have said, I definitely think I will develop a feature that will give multiple choices for associations. Maybe you can pick one that resonates better with you. If none of them do, there would also be the option to edit your own.

Thanks again. I'm so glad I gave you a peek behind the curtain. I hope it helps you.

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mary,

Thank you for offering this beta test of your new app! I tried your app and found it very cute, helpful, and really fun! I like the speakers' voices, which are very clear, easy to understand, and pleasant to listen to. I also enjoyed the colorful illustrations and found the instructions/tips easy to comprehend and to follow (and I was glad that at the end of each lesson I scored 100% on the quiz). Besides, I like the fact that the cards are mostly intuitive and amusing! It was almost like playing a game, and I love games, including those with fun and colorful cards!
However, I didn't always enjoy the practice, although I and have a few suggestions that you might want to consider implementing in order to improve your app.

While I was practicing, some of the associations suggested by the app were not helping me remember the corresponding name, because those associations referred to something that either did not remind me enough of the personal name or that at times was kind of unpleasant for me to think about (e.g. the ant tee and the like).
In this regard, my suggestion is to open a section in your forum or on facebook, where everyone is invited to write their own associations, and then to make a poll, in order to pick up the best associations! As you know people support what they build…and it could be even fun for everyone to come up with new "peculiar" associations.
After selecting the best associations, you could add a list of alternatives for each card and the corresponding name.
Another thing I would add/change is to allow users to choose both the association image and word for each personal name among the variety of associations that you provide after making your list of alternatives, in addition to giving them the possibility to choose in their phone galleries.
My last suggestion is actually regarding your forum: you might want to consider to keep it simple and focused on a few topics. Less is more. : )
In conclusion, I really appreciated having the chance to try your app and think your app can be a very helpful tool to learn how to better remember personal names – and from there, why not, all names in general – for everyone, at any age. Wishing you success on this valuable tool and would love for you to get back to your testing team and let us know how the launch of your app is going. Thanks again. : )
Hi Laura,
Wow. I'm humbled by the generosity of yours and others feedback. It's so invaluable.
I have all the alternative associations, just like you were saying, from a public poll... based on yours and other's suggestions, I'm definitely going to add those Alternatives into the app. it might take a month to get it designed and flushed out but I'm definitely going to implement it. :)

Thanks for the bonus feedback on the forum too. :)

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Initial thoughts - The voice of “Mary” is very pleasant and easily tolerated. A lot of Apps that use voices tend to have an overly computerized ‘droning’ voice that is off putting so Mary’s voice is nice change of pace.

The introduction is not too long and is well paced. It kept me interested, engaged and drew me in. I was excited to move along in the program.

Lesson One - Short and sweet. Perfect for familiarizing the user with the apps interface and letting them know what to expect in future lessons. I have no suggestions for improvement thus far.

Lesson Two - The pace was just as nice and easy to follow as it was in lesson one. It was longer than the first lesson (as to be expected) but not so long as to lose the user's attention. Kudos on that. My only thoughts are that the options for most of the multiple choice questions are a give away. None of the options were “tricky” enough to trip up someone and I’d have to say that even if I hadn’t listened to the Lesson I would have been able to pick the right answers anyway. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it can be viewed as being a bit leading or too obvious to be useful.

Lesson Three - Much like lesson two it’s well paced, engaging and easy to follow. Same thoughts on the multiple choice options but I assume this was something done because the app is still in its early stages of development.

Additional thoughts after completing the first Three lessons: Love the user interface. It is modern enough that younger users will find it pleasant yet simple enough that older or perhaps less tech savvy individuals will not find it difficult to use. You have struck a seldom achieved middle ground with this so congratulations to you and your team of developers. As someone that often has to help less technically savvy individuals with things of this nature I think anyone at any skill level could navigate this application with ease.

Profile - I was able to change my display name to Ecoleman24 but when I selected a picture from my phones gallery it didn’t show up. (I tired to do this twice) I’m not sure if images have to be approved or if this is a glitch in the application.

Under the Menu on the Left (the three lines) - all options are still disabled and do nothing when clicked/touched (again something that I assumed was done since this is still being Beta tested but thought I’d mention it just in case) CORRECTION: after closing the app and reopening it all of those options now work. Not sure if that is an glitch or not. Will leave app open and check it again to see if the issue repeats itself at any time. EDIT: After the app was open for a while the third time those menu options became unclickable again. I had to close the app and reopen it in order to access those menu items.

Reviewing the first 10 cards - I could not recall the association of 2 of the 10 cards and even though I pressed the red X when asked if I recalled the association at the end of the review it still said I that I recalled 10 out of 10. (screenshot) I will repeat this review and see if it happens again. I repeated it and still marked X on Linda/Lint and James/Chains and it still said I got 10 out of 10. I would suggest looking into this. Something in the coding must be registering all response as Good/Green regardless of what’s clicked.

I like the fact that when a name commonly associated with women comes up a female voice is used and when a name commonly associated with men comes up a male voice is used. With that said, I feel I must mention that with all of the buzz surrounding how everything is being gendered you might want to reconsider that. Some people are looking for a reason to be offended and I’d hate for you to get a bad review due to things that are still a hot and debatable topic in society at the moment. I find the change in voice useful and I personally am not offended, but that is a societal gray area right now so you may want to tread carefully on that point.

Reviewing 20 cards - I like how the first 10 cars were incorporated into the mix. That is a good way to test long term memory retention so kudos again. I would call that aspect of the app a success seeing as how I was able to recall all 10 of the first cards during the review of the second batch. The app is still giving me a perfect score despite having clicked the red X a few times during the 20. (screenshot) EDIT: Even with clicking X on all 20 it still gave me the Great job you recalled 20 out of 30 names.

NOTE: Under the People section it says you have to correctly memorize 30 names to unlock it. I’m guessing it unlocked after the 3rd practice session because it is giving me a perfect score despite me having clicked the red X due to me not recalling a couple of names.

Under the People section it did accurately count/record my Green checks and Red X’s (screenshot)

Left Side Menu - Again after opening the menu twice the options became unclickable. The were functional the first two times I opened it but not on the third time. The app itself then froze on me and I had to shut it down and reopen it.

Change Image Feature - Take new image and use works great. Upload from phone gallery works great as well. I love this option. It makes it more personal to each user.

Neuro Skillz Club Website and Forum - The look of the website is crisp and clean, love the logo it looks like a brain and brainstem ^_^. I like the layout and look even if I would do something a little different than blue on a darker blue. It has a smoothly functioning User Interface and the forum is easy to navigate. It is easy enough to use that even a beginner would have no issues and it has enough bells and whistles to make seasoned internet guru’s happy. My favorite feature it the ability to like other’s comments nd posts and follow users who post topics that interest you.

Thank you again for the early access. I enjoyed testing out the application ^_^
Wow, @Ecoleman24 , That was some very thorough testing. Thank you so much for the detailed issue reports. This is going to be extremely helpful. Sorry you experienced the problems. I'm very happy you enjoyed testing it.

It was also nice of you to add your thoughts about the forum. :) Thank you for that too.

Warm Regards, Mary.

Wow, @Ecoleman24 , That was some very thorough testing. Thank you so much for the detailed issue reports. This is going to be extremely helpful. Sorry you experienced the problems. I'm very happy you enjoyed testing it.

It was also nice of you to add your thoughts about the forum. :) Thank you for that too.

Warm Regards, Mary.
Mary,

Would you have any issues if I added this review of your app to my portfolio?