What's new

Byron Katie Is One Of Our Wise Elders

Rae1234

Sooner or later, all spiritual seekers will come across Byron Katie and her process of healing and spiritual transformation which she calls "The Work."

It's a powerful tool, especially for those of us who journal or use the written word to process through events or challenges in our lives. The Work is really just 4 simple questions that you apply to thoughts that you have which are causing you to suffer. The premise of the work is that all suffering is related to a thought that you hold on to which just simply isn't true. And the process of applying the questions to the thought leads you to the awareness that you have been projecting or mistaken - which in turn allows you to let it go.

Very powerful!

The back story is this: At 43 years old, Byron Katie was suffering immensely with depression and rage fueled by alcohol and codeine. She checked herself into a home for women. The home was not really set up to deal with the what Byron Katie was experiencing, but it was the only thing available to her through her insurance. Ultimately, that may have been a blessing. Her depression and self-loathing was as intense as it gets, but it led her to an epiphany:

"I discovered that when I believed my thoughts, I suffered, but that when I didn’t believe them, I didn’t suffer, and that this is true for every human being. Freedom is as simple as that. I found that suffering is optional. I found a joy within me that has never disappeared, not for a single moment."

So the whole thrust of the work is to identify your thoughts and deconstruct them through the four questions, so that you can recognize that they simple aren't true.

I'm a spiritual dabbler, so I didn't stay with Byron Katie's work long, but I definitely had a few breakthroughs using her work.

Here's her website: https://thework.com/en

And here's a video of her describing her work: