What's new

Busy mommy

Tiajanay

I'm a new mommy ( my son is 9 months old) and I just changed jobs from being a full time manager to follow my dream of being a writer. So I'm still working part time at my store, cause I'm not making enough writing yet to sustain my family, and I'm writing almost full time. With my baby and not much help from my husband who is full time at his job any suggestions on how to better manage my time? Any tips or tricks you've found for better time management with kids who are too young not to get in trouble? Any suggestions are appriciated

hladik

What are your plans about it? Are you self-publishing your books??

How much time do you spend writing? I know it’s full time but, how much is that? Some people find a lot easier to write just at certain hours. I think that knowing when you are more productive and giving yourself deadlines help a lot.

Ssandra

My daughter is almost 5 and I have given up on trying to really work when she is around. I work when she is asleep and when she's in school.
I'm lucky right now because I'm again on good terms with her dad and his parents so if I really have some urgent deadlines, they'll watch her. I prefer not to, because they spoil her, which means I get a very annoying kid back, but sometimes its the only solution.

Things that I do (freelance copywriting) while she is, for example, playing on her own, or in the park is using my phone to do some research, use voice notes to take note of any article ideas that might come up, and brainstorm on my own, in my own mind. Although I do not apply for jobs on my phone (I need more attention for that), I do browse job boards and favorite those that I am interested in to apply for later on.

And now I also check this forum on my phone, and get inspired by new people and motivated to keep going.

eman12771

Keep your cell phone in another room because this is ONE major thing that will waste your time and hinder your productivity. Depending on your children's sleep schedule, you could stay up late or wake up early to take advantage of "quiet time." I'm sometimes more productive at one in the morning than I am during the middle of the day (imagine that!). Another good tip is to put in a movie for your kids and let them watch it while you work. This keeps them entertained for a few hours!

AllisonE

Maybe you could try doing voice memos on your phone while you are busy with your baby, that way you have some ideas to write about while the baby is asleep. Sometimes it is also necessary to try to get someone to watch the baby for a couple hours just so you can get some quality work done.