What's new

Birthday resolutions

shelbyk

Yesterday was my birthday, and every year I try to make some sort of resolution/plan for my next year of life. Last year, it was to write down something new I learned every day. I love this idea in theory, and still would love to put it into practice, but I just didn't do a great job of staying consistent with it. Because of that, I want to carry this resolution over into my next year- does anyone have any suggestions for making resolutions stick/creating a habit out of them?

chocory

I think one good idea is to find a habit you already have, something you do every single day before bed, and to use it as a trigger. Even just the act of brushing your teeth can work—I've found that if you begin by associating the end of a long-term, habitual action with the start of the action you want to make habitual (i.e. reflecting on your day and writing down that new thing you learned), it helps to keep you on track. :)

kkraus

I think one good idea is to find a habit you already have, something you do every single day before bed, and to use it as a trigger. Even just the act of brushing your teeth can work—I've found that if you begin by associating the end of a long-term, habitual action with the start of the action you want to make habitual (i.e. reflecting on your day and writing down that new thing you learned), it helps to keep you on track. :)
I agree! It's much easier to start making a habit of something you already do occasionally.
My resolution for the year is to do a cartwheel, not crazy, but definitely a goal I haven't met yet.

Tina

I'd just like to say it's me birthday next week. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m going to be 35 on Monday. I really can’t believe it. It makes me feel old, haha. I know, I know… I’m young! But still, that doesn’t disqualify what I feel.
I look forward to new beginnings, new opportunities, new friendships and setting new intentions for the year ahead.
Each year I love to spend a day simply reflecting, reminiscing about my favorite moments by taking the time to appreciate all the little + big things that were a part of my life in the past year. I use this time to also draw some conclusions about what things make me happy and what things don’t.
A year in review can be a valuable exercise to take note of your accomplishments, expeditions and experiences that stand out, making the year memorable. Not all will be a WIN or planned, but like it or not they are all important.