What's new

Best styles of music for anxiety

dansecaribe

Good morning,

I woke up this morning with some unwarranted stress, courtesy of my anxiety disorder. I have found that when I am in this state the one thing I need most is some relaxation. Yoga usually helps, but when you're on your daily commute, that's not really an option. Music, however, is something I always resort to while on the bus, and lately I have found that lounge-style jazz really soothes my brain. Are there any ordinary and practically free options you all use for relaxation? These days, there is so much at our access online that it's wonderful to find things that make our days a little easier...

Genevieve

Good morning! Sometimes I struggle with a bit of anxiety as well. I like yoga toobut it's not always practical or possible. Deep breathing exercises are free and can be done anywhere, but it has to be focused or my mind will wander. For example, you pick 3 numbers, say 5 - 7 - 5. You inhale for 5, hold for 7, and exhale for 5. Then you pick another three numbers, and repeat.

As far as what music soothes my anxiety, interesting question and I hadn't really thought about it before! I love most all music and can get into a beat, but I'm definitely more of a words and lyrics person. When something's troubling me or I'm feeling anxious, the lyrics to contemporary Christian songs almost always help. They put things into perspective, are uplifting, and inspire positivity. Although I do like a good fight song to amp me up too, such as Hit Me With Your Best Shot!

JJ1203

I also find music to be a great help when my anxiety is high. Both jazz and Christian music are on my list! I also love beachy music like reggae, Jimmy Buffet, and similar. It really depends on my mood that day and what the basis of my anxiety is.

As far as other techniques to squash anxiety I try to find things to do that keep my mind too busy to focus on the whirlwind caused by the anxiety. Reading, crocheting, and painting have all helped me.