What's new

Being the Real You

Captain Obvious

The real you. No, really! I mean the REAL you! This ever-changing world is all about people who attempt to display themselves as someone better than they really are.

On the physical side of this, for one example, is the Kardashians. What is the purpose behind them? A few choice words come to mind. Greed. Business. Selfishness.

Then we have the digital side. If we had real photos of the most prominent digital people online, we would be shocked at the reality.

Ever had a phone call with someone for the first time and that painted a picture of them in your mind? That is now an industry!

So, what are your thoughts about revealing who you really are? Pros and Cons, please. :)

mcad4

I've considered this a bit lately, too, particularly the discrepancy between one's social media identity and his actual personality.

On the one side, it seems necessary in today's world to have somewhat of a polished presence, especially if you're seeking for employment or if you're already in a prominent position. For me, though, it's easy to turn that "brand development" (using the Kardashians as an example) into a facade, and people can easily tell who's faking.

But it's still a balance. Social media gives us an excellent platform to share our personality and opinions. On the other side of the pendulum, if we truly/always shared what we felt at first impulse, then we can easily offend others.

So there must be a balance. I am a personal fan of authenticity across all platforms of my life -- with family, friends, colleagues, on the phone, and on social media. For me, the key to finding this balance is not to pursue displaying myself better than I really am (admittedly that's hard to always do) but instead in my relationships having the intentional mindset to care for others.

Trey.ru.iii

I think that there must be a balance between portraying yourself as the best person you can be and falsely portraying yourself as someone who is better than what you really are. I mean to say that we can all go through life exuding confidence and being charismatic and happy with the beauty of our natural selves. But we should not try to form and promote another elevated identity on social media, another persona that looks artificially beautiful with the help of filters and makeup and a persona that claims unwavering confidence with no substantial evidence and that puts out empty words of compassion to their audiences to appear empathetic and kind-hearted.

Our digital lives and our physical lives should align, and one should not show a drastically and misleadingly improved version of ourselves.