What's new

Becoming A Writer

ALGrace656

Hello Neuronauts
I've long been on the road to becoming a writer, from sending out story submissions and publishing articles to graduating from college with a journalism degree. Now while I'm lucky enough to have a job in my field, I haven't been able to write creatively in years at this point. I've always wanted to write a novel, and I'm finally starting it. (Now let's see if I actually follow through and finish it.)
Does anyone have any goals they're on their way towards? Or any tips in keeping that motivation going?

hladik

In my case my current goals are a more short term. Right now I want to become fluent on both Italian and German. I try to practice everyday and carry around the things I need in case there is a small chance of practicing. Being in touch with your goal in some way helps a lot I think.

Ssandra

I'm working on having a few stable clients to write for that make enough money for me to sustain myself, while learning more about online marketing and copywriting. I'm on the right track, I think...

eman12771

I'm working on earning a steady income from the internet, both by writing and doing crowdsourcing jobs. I work full-time too and use this money as supplemental income. It would be a dream to transition from my desk job to full-time freelancing. I love the independence and sense of empowerment it brings!

Jatelo2

I trained as a Lab Technologist but love freelance writing more. The challenge is finding those who believe in you enough to encourage if not mentor you. My goal has been and still is to write at a native level and get a consistent job online. The aim is to erk a living online through writing, not an easy thing (especially for non-native speakers) but possible.

I'll keenly follow you...I might learn a thing or two.

chocory

I've always wanted to write a novel as well! I mean, I've never seriously thought about it—it's a lot of work, and I'm also busy with other things right now—but it's always kind of been there at the back of my mind. I recently heard about this initiative called 750 Words, which helps you start and maintain the habit of writing (meaningfully, not mindlessly) every day, and it actually sounds really interesting and useful. Even if I'm not working on something as challenging as a full-length novel, I figure I can use this to keep that part of my mind active. Maybe you can check it out too: http://750words.com/ :)

Tiajanay

My major goal for this year was to write and get paid. I had spent that last few years with a personal blog which was fun but wasn't really going anywhere. I now work for a content company as a part time job and I'm so happy. I'm hoping that at the end of the year I can transition to working from home full time writing and podcasting.

kmd06

I want to become a writer as well. I keep on telling myself that someday, someone will going to appreciate my writings. I've had many rejections from different companies, but I always remind myself to never give up. We cannot enjoy our goals when we don't know how rejection feels.

hladik

I want to become a writer as well. I keep on telling myself that someday, someone will going to appreciate my writings. I've had many rejections from different companies, but I always remind myself to never give up. We cannot enjoy our goals when we don't know how rejection feels.
So many great writers were rejected plenty of times before someone actually got to see how good they really where. Just to name two, Stephen King got regected I think 40 times and Jose Saramago also got rejected a lot before someone accepted to publish him.

I think you should establish your online presence, maybe even create a YouTube channel, which is one of the best ways to get recognition that you surely need as aspiring writer. I am sure the world would want to hear what you have to say.

waldemar

My motivation why I am working? It is my family it keeps me moving forward as well as my goals to have a financial freedom in the future.

Captain Obvious

I've been writing for nearly 15 years. Short stories, blog posts, articles and press releases. I love to be creative and using the mind as much as possible as I am getting on in years. If you can make it into an income then that is purely a bonus. But, also I must say I really enjoy it :)