What's new

Basal Ganglia/"The Power of Habit"

Human8

This is along the lines of self-hypnosis also. "The Power of Habit" book might be worth reading but the "gist" of it is brains have basal ganglia that have automatic functions, so it seems the most effective scientifically understood way to get into a good habit is just to be consistent, and eventually a person will feel like they're just "going through the motions" rather than forcing themselves. I've had this feeling with workout and other routines, but I've also felt like my mind was almost white-hot after trying to keep myself busy with at least something for a business quarter. Assuming this post can provide and facilitate insight on this topic.

mcad4

From my reading it seems that it takes 21-28 days to develop a new habit; during that time new neural connections are forming, and so once they're made, transmissions will move quicker/easier. In one sense, three to four weeks doesn't seem like that long of a time.

Yes, I'd agree that you should strive to be consistent, without "missing" any days. But I also found it okay to extend grace to yourself if you do slip up; often in the past I would be frustrated with myself if I skipped a habit I was developing for a day, so much so that I'd stop doing it altogether.