What's new

Balancing feelings in a blended family

bjfdaisy72

The only struggle I feel my family has, which I am very grateful for, is understanding one another and having patience. This is a step child/step parent relationship with me, the biological parent, caught on the middle. I feel anxious when things are not going well. I try to let everyone have their feelings, but I still feel I’m redpinsuble for getting them to communicate.

Ssandra

I think it is up to the step parent to understand the child, not the child to understand the stepparent.

I also think it is extremely important to make sure you always side with your child, while still being honest and fair. Your child should never feel like the opinion of your partner is more important than hers in matters that concern her.

bjfdaisy72

That is usually the way it goes, just by nature. I’m very fair, but I’m also very honest. If either of them are wrong, I say it. But our boy is now 19, and we have been together for 9 years. Shouldn’t these issues be overcome? I know life is about growing and growth is continual, but we have a wonderful life.

Well said, it is the step parents responsibility to understand the child. ☺