What's new

Atmoshphere for success

What atmosphere do you feel leads to the most productive behaviors?

Room colors...

Lighting...

What's on the walls...

Music or quiet...

I'm asking in two parts...
1- Think in terms of your personal space.
2- For any educators-- think in terms of a classroom.

hladik

What I've found is that the most important part for me is music.

Wiith music in my earphones the place is not such big deal. Besides that, I need a spce where I can work without interruptions and with enough space to put all my stuff. Lots of books also help me being a lot more inspired. If there is natural lighting it's a lot better but it's not completely necesary.

Sflom

I'm a teacher... 7th year this year. Boy time flies!

In terms of a classroom, I have always had bright colors on my bulletin boards. Also, be purposeful in the posters you put up on the walls. In my opinion, I wouldn't put up a poster about my content area if I had no intention of ever referring to it. Overall, the kids notice the effort you put in, and they appreciate it. My kids have even commented to me, "Why doesn't so-and-so decorate their walls?" It's great that you are taking into consideration your classroom environment.

In terms of productivity, some sort of organization system helps. Dollar Tree has some great bins to help get organized (supply organizing; turn-in bins; etc). Also, try to avoid clutter. I see several colleagues of mine with cluttered classrooms. Clutter makes it hard to focus for many students.

I'm a teacher... 7th year this year. Boy time flies!

In terms of a classroom, I have always had bright colors on my bulletin boards. Also, be purposeful in the posters you put up on the walls. In my opinion, I wouldn't put up a poster about my content area if I had no intention of ever referring to it. Overall, the kids notice the effort you put in, and they appreciate it. My kids have even commented to me, "Why doesn't so-and-so decorate their walls?" It's great that you are taking into consideration your classroom environment.

In terms of productivity, some sort of organization system helps. Dollar Tree has some great bins to help get organized (supply organizing; turn-in bins; etc). Also, try to avoid clutter. I see several colleagues of mine with cluttered classrooms. Clutter makes it hard to focus for many students.

I’ll have to post pictures!

ben_paul_22

For myself, I much prefer natural light or dim, evening lighting to bright artificial lights, "office lighting", etc. I usually prefer music, especially if there are other distractions around. I also do well with white noise in the background from a TV, although it can't be anything too interesting that will legitimately distract me...

Not sure when it comes to classrooms, sorry.