What's new

ASMR As a Way to Help Anxiety, Depression, and Insomnia

lashley101

I wasn't exactly sure what forum would be most appropriate to post this thread because it is rather random and not well known.

Some people here may or may not have heard of ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response). ASMR is a form of video-making that is currently trending on YouTube, but in a rather subtle and underground kind of way. It may sound strange for those who've never heard of it, but it essentially consists of people making videos of them doing random tasks like, tapping on objects, flipping through pages in a book, whispering, doing virtual scalp massages, etc. These activities are called "triggers" and for someone who can experience ASMR they get tingly feelings in their head and ears when listening to these "triggers," which ultimately helps them relax, fall asleep, etc.

I know, I know it seems SUPER weird for those who've never heard of it, but I had stumbled upon ASMR videos when I was in my freshman year in college. I had always had issues falling asleep, and used to take melatonin every single night to try to fall asleep. I had randomly stumbled upon this video of a woman getting a massage and experienced tingly feelings in my head that made me feel sleepy and was able to fall asleep with no melatonin. Then, videos started popping up about "ASMR" and I had no idea what that was, but once I started watching a few I realized that the purpose of the videos was to induce that same tingly feeling to help someone fall asleep or relax.

Some people experience this feeling in settings like, listening to someone lecture

OlgaC

I also had issues with falling asleep, could stay awake for hours during the night and then be super tired the next day. I tried to listen to ASMR videos first but I found some of them very annoying :D Some of the sounds were disturbing me, especially when they came randomly, like tapping on the microphone without any purpose.
But once I found a video made by a very nice girl who performed virtual massages. She had a story and a pleasant voice. When there is a "story" behind an ASMR video and not just random sounds then I understand how it can be relaxing.
I think when ASMR got popular many creators thought it is just about making strange sounds and whispering, but then there are really good professionals who know what they are doing and what the purpose of ASMR is.

Mybestlife

I had never heard of this before I read this post but it sounded interesting enough that I went to Youtube and checked a couple out. The first girl made me feel really uncomfortable. I don't know if it was the strangeness due to the fact that I've literally never seen anything like this or knew people did it or if it was just sensory feelings I don't like being caused by the triggers(?) She was using a makeup brush on the mic and whispering and I had the weird response to want to cry. Very odd.

The second video was much better. I still felt weird but it alternated between feeling calm and feeling excited which may not be the best for sleeping. She also just seemed very pleasant so that could be the improvement. I have yet to try someone doing a story. But not opposed.

Lei Mercado

I wasn't exactly sure what forum would be most appropriate to post this thread because it is rather random and not well known.

Some people here may or may not have heard of ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response). ASMR is a form of video-making that is currently trending on YouTube, but in a rather subtle and underground kind of way. It may sound strange for those who've never heard of it, but it essentially consists of people making videos of them doing random tasks like, tapping on objects, flipping through pages in a book, whispering, doing virtual scalp massages, etc. These activities are called "triggers" and for someone who can experience ASMR they get tingly feelings in their head and ears when listening to these "triggers," which ultimately helps them relax, fall asleep, etc.

I know, I know it seems SUPER weird for those who've never heard of it, but I had stumbled upon ASMR videos when I was in my freshman year in college. I had always had issues falling asleep, and used to take melatonin every single night to try to fall asleep. I had randomly stumbled upon this video of a woman getting a massage and experienced tingly feelings in my head that made me feel sleepy and was able to fall asleep with no melatonin. Then, videos started popping up about "ASMR" and I had no idea what that was, but once I started watching a few I realized that the purpose of the videos was to induce that same tingly feeling to help someone fall asleep or relax.

Some people experience this feeling in settings like, listening to someone lecture
This is amazing, @lashley101! I heard about this from my younger brother, but I only thought this is just one of those random fads rising in the internet. I never thought it could be this useful for people fighting anxiety, depression and insomnia. I'll try searching more about this and see if I can also recommend this to my friends who are experiencing troubles. Thanks for sharing!

lashley101

This is amazing, @lashley101! I heard about this from my younger brother, but I only thought this is just one of those random fads rising in the internet. I never thought it could be this useful for people fighting anxiety, depression and insomnia. I'll try searching more about this and see if I can also recommend this to my friends who are experiencing troubles. Thanks for sharing!
Hey Lei Mercado!

So glad you found my post interesting and useful. That's amazing that your brother had mentioned it to you. ASMR is something that has gained popularity "quietly" if you will because it's something people feel embarrassed to admit that they watch, as it can seem like a really strange concept and phenomenon to those who've never watched/heard of it (after all, listening to random people tap on objects or whisper into a microphone definitely seems really strange at first).

What I find interesting about the ASMR movement is how quickly ASMR artists are gaining subscribers and how quickly the entire concept is generating popularity, but in a very "underground" sort of way. Because if you think of most internet things that go viral they tend to go viral in a very in-your-face and out-there kind of way. Whereas, ASMR is just the opposite. So, I think it is quietly but surely getting passed around by word of mouth, or people are randomly stumbling across it on the internet like it did.

lashley101

I had never heard of this before I read this post but it sounded interesting enough that I went to Youtube and checked a couple out. The first girl made me feel really uncomfortable. I don't know if it was the strangeness due to the fact that I've literally never seen anything like this or knew people did it or if it was just sensory feelings I don't like being caused by the triggers(?) She was using a makeup brush on the mic and whispering and I had the weird response to want to cry. Very odd.

The second video was much better. I still felt weird but it alternated between feeling calm and feeling excited which may not be the best for sleeping. She also just seemed very pleasant so that could be the improvement. I have yet to try someone doing a story. But not opposed.
Hey Mybestlife,

As I said in some earlier posts, ASMR at first can be REALLY strange to someone who has never before heard of it or watched it. I get it--the concept is really weird. I have all of these theories on ASMR, and one of them is that in order to get the most out of it you have to be incredibly open to the concept of it and ignore the "weirdness" or "strangeness" of it.

Also, I forget to mention that its important you watch it with headphones and then you can adjust the volume accordingly.

But, I also think that it's important to note that not all ASMR artists will "do the trick" for just any one person. You kind of have to explore the world of ASMR, give it an honest chance, and see if different people (based on their voices) will "do the trick for you" as I said.

Lastly, from what I've read about ASMR and the phenomenon some people respond really well to it and others don't. In other words, some people claim that ASMR can't give them any tingly feelings in the head or ears to induce sleep whereas other people respond really well to it.

JessicaW

I came upon ASMR by accident, a random recommended video from YouTube. I watched a few videos, because I found it intriguing. I have found that I do not respond well at all to the videos that have rhythmic, percussive or clicking noises, which will keep me awake and even on edge for the duration of the video.

Discovering ASMR and watching different types has really helped me learn about what I need to relax. The best videos for me to relax are nature and situational sounds, not a droning waterfall, waves or rain, but the ones that have variation even the sound of sitting in a room. I cannot relax to things that have patterns that my brain can analyze. What helps me sleep is the sound of a quiet voice (not necessarily whispering), especially that of people who have a different accent other than my own native one.

BrigS

I love those ASMR videos on Youtube, I can go from stressed out to relaxed enough to fall asleep.