Animals and Health

magikheart

Jun 26, 2018
I'm a crazy cat lady. Yes, I have four cats and am unmarried. There is a stigmatization about this going around, and lately, it seems culture is trying to put a positive spin on it (which makes me happy). There's a ton of reports saying having a pet is good for you, and I know that spending time with my kitties each day helps to put a smile on my face and relax me. Does anyone else find this to be true, or better yet, not true?

Jun 26, 2018
Studies have shown that pets are good for your mental health and can help you live a longer, happier life. I've always loved animals, and I believe they are essential to my well-being. I currently have just dogs – two beagles – but in the past, I've also had horses, cats, goats, guinea pigs, ferrets, and even a box turtle. My dogs and I share a unique bond, whether we're hiking, walking in the neighborhood, or hanging out on the couch. And they're always happy to see me – no questions asked.

I know people, however, who can't understand why anyone would want to keep a pet, and think we're silly for the time, attention, and money we lavish on our fur babies.

Genevieve

Jun 27, 2018
I absolutely think it's true that animals can benefits our Mental Health! They don't come with the drama and negativity of humans LOL. They're all about the love!

magikheart

Jun 26, 2018
I guess this is why we so often hear about therapy dogs. I've heard there are ranches where people can care for horses to help relieve stress and anxiety as well. The simple action of taking care of such as magnificent animal really helps to center oneself. I think something like that would be amazing to be a part of.

annelill

Jun 25, 2018
YES, I love my silly little cat so much and coming home to her for some snuggles always makes me feel better. I'm not going to try and say that this is 100% true, but I remember reading somewhere that the physical action of petting can be therapeutic and that the sound and feel of a cat purring is calming. I don't know if there's scientific proof behind this or not, but from my personal experience, I'm predisposed to believe it!

Jun 25, 2018
I've lived with dogs most of my life, and I think it really helped me to enjoy life more. Even when the little guys can be loud and hard to manage, their joy and unconditional love is infectious. There are many ways to find happiness, but one essential is to have others you can support and who support you. If you treat a pet well, they'll always be there for you. That's priceless.

Nicole_D

Jul 11, 2018
I totally agree that having pets has made my life happier and more fulfilling. I have had cats since I was a child - there's nothing like hearing a cat purr to calm you down when you're sad or upset. A couple of years ago, we got a dog. I love my cat, but when I get home there's no one happier to see me than the dog. She's the best! I take pride and joy in spoiling her rotten, and making sure she's taken care of and happy and healthy. My animals have definitely made me a better person. I'm so thankful they're in my life.

Sam_C

Jul 30, 2018
There is nothing like coming home to my sweet dog, Tab. Her big smile, crazy hair and excited shrieks are a wonderful antidote to negative human interactions, the news (which tends to be awful) and the stack of bills waiting in my mailbox. She is affectionate and protective, and even though she drives me crazy sometimes (her bark is positively ear-shattering), I can’t imagine my life without her. Watching her grow up has been one of the best experiences of my life, and has made me a kinder, more compassionate person.

amerino24

Aug 20, 2018
I feel like animals are children and they are such comforters, they are really everyone's best friend. I am a HUGE animal lover!

lpvander

Sep 12, 2018
Yes, I definitely agree that having a pet/s is good for you. But I also wanted to note something that might be helpful to you in combating the stigmatization of being a "crazy cat lady." The term itself is inherently sexist. We see it all the time with "crazy cat lady" against "Dogs are a man's best friend." Society likes to label women (any chance it can get) with terms (like "crazy" or "spinster") especially if she's unmarried. Yet, a man in a similar circumstance (just replaced with a dog instead) can get away without any negative labels or unfair stigmas. He's a "bachelor" or a "man's man." I say this, as an unmarried woman with a cat myself, to hopefully encourage you to ignore these sexist labels!

Oaky

Aug 15, 2018
Not only is the evidence of animals helping with one's stress and health, but mentally - having a little fur ball depend upon another is rewarding and can be fulfilling emotionally. I have two fur-babies myself, both of which are the inspiration for leaving and returning home each day. I hope one day to not only keep these animal companions as a part of my family - but create a sanctuary to incorporate a wider range of species into my animal companion family... it just makes sense to extend compassion to all these great creatures that show nothing but compassion!