What's new

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's been given us"

ckang96

For any Lord of the Rings fans out there, I'm sure you recognize one of the most famous quotes by Gandalf the Grey himself. I always think about this, or at least its meaning, when I'm in a stressful situation. Are there any other quotes that help calm people down when they're feeling overwhelmed?

kes29

Ahh I love this quote. I find myself thinking of it often when I'm getting overwhelmed with an ever-growing to-do list.

I think the best part is the reminder that we all have the same 24 hours. We get to chose how to spend it (within reason. There are some things that are nonnegotiable such as having to sleep at some point, eating food at some point, etc.). But we get to decide how to best use those 24 hours for ourselves. It helps me not get bogged down in unfinished task lists.

kes29

Another on the Lord of the Rings train, but it's one of my personal favorites: "Not all those who wander are lost."

For me, I've lived in...4 states over the last 5 years. Just sort of moving where the wind blows me and adapting as I go. I know some of my family and friends view this as my being "lost" but for me, I'm really just chasing my dreams. I believe I can't passively sit still and wait for them to come to pass. I have to go out and seek them. So maybe I wander, but it's in the direction of my ultimate goals.

jacque_mich

First, I love LOTR and the fact that there is a thread about its quotes! I do love that first quote by Gandalf, and it is something to live by. It is wonderful for simplifying all of the complex threads of life into a statement that reminds us why it is so important.