What's new

Alcohol Abuse

Uncle Dil

Has anyone personally experienced or had friends/family with alcoholism who were able to get out of it? Do you have any advice or tips on how to improve? I do not drink myself, but I know there are a lot of people out there who may need help with the subject matter and I also recognize how important this is to many people.

bjfdaisy72

Hello, I am very familiar with addiction including personal family members and professional experience. I have only seen one man completely overcome alcohol addiction. The only way he was able to do this was complete abstinence. His driving force was his family.

There’s a theory that alcohol addiction is actually strongly linked to vitamin deficiency. As the alcoholic continues to drink, they do not eat as much because the sugar/carbs from the alcohol fills them up. So they are essentially starving their bodies. There is an idea that vitamin replacement in the form of IV can help the body overcome it. You have heard of these when you are “hung over” I’m sure.

Then there is another theory that complicates it even further. The theory they are self medicating due to a mental health issue they are unaware of. Depression, anxiety, etc.

There are so many factors that contribute to alcoholism, or any addiction, and there is no one answer. I believe it takes the person realizing it’s a problem. Then the combined efforts of family, therapists, mental health advisors, and doctors to begin a program to help with intervention.
However, the most important element I believe, and is often not addressed, addiction becomes a family problem. If the entire immediate family does not get involved in therapy, there is little chance that it can be overcome. It effects everyone.

Uncle Dil

Hello, I am very familiar with addiction including personal family members and professional experience. I have only seen one man completely overcome alcohol addiction. The only way he was able to do this was complete abstinence. His driving force was his family.

There’s a theory that alcohol addiction is actually strongly linked to vitamin deficiency. As the alcoholic continues to drink, they do not eat as much because the sugar/carbs from the alcohol fills them up. So they are essentially starving their bodies. There is an idea that vitamin replacement in the form of IV can help the body overcome it. You have heard of these when you are “hung over” I’m sure.

Then there is another theory that complicates it even further. The theory they are self medicating due to a mental health issue they are unaware of. Depression, anxiety, etc.

There are so many factors that contribute to alcoholism, or any addiction, and there is no one answer. I believe it takes the person realizing it’s a problem. Then the combined efforts of family, therapists, mental health advisors, and doctors to begin a program to help with intervention.
However, the most important element I believe, and is often not addressed, addiction becomes a family problem. If the entire immediate family does not get involved in therapy, there is little chance that it can be overcome. It effects everyone.
Thank you for the comment. Yes, there are so many factors involved in alcoholism that people may not realize are hiding beneath the surface. This is why I never have and never will judge someone suffering from alcoholism. Individuals heavily consuming alcohol can suffer from Vitamin B12 and Folate deficiencies due to a poor diet. They also can be low in Thiamine; I think is what you are most likely referring to when you discuss IV Vitamin replacement (component of a "banana bag").

bjfdaisy72

Yes I’m certain that is it! I read a book on it a while ago and can’t remember the certain vitamins that help. Judging people doesn’t solve anything. Education is the best we can do for the people suffering and their families. It’s devastating to all and very sad. I’m grateful I’ve never had any addiction except morning coffee. I watched that struggle with ones around me and was blessed not following into the black hole.

neoninfinity

Each case of alcohol abuse is unique and should receive individualized treatment. One key issue is whether the person has acknowledged that there is a substance abuse issue and is willing to seek treatment. If so, depending on the severity of the alcohol disorder and the person's individual circumstances, you should encourage him or her to look into either an in-patient treatment program or an intensive outpatient program (IOP). Most of these are covered by insurance and a simple Google search should let you know what programs are available in your area.

Obviously, there are also many Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon meetings. But, you may also want to familiarize yourself with SMART (Self-Management and Recovery Training). SMART covers all types of addition, and they also have a handbook for family and friends. SMART has meetings available around the country, just like AA, however many people are still unaware of it. For a lot of people, the tenets of SMART are easier to relate to than AA. SMART's program emphasizes self-empowerment and self-reliance and can be worked in conjunction with other programs. Its four points are:

Point 1: Building and Maintaining Motivation
Point 2: Coping with Urges
Point 3: Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
Point 4: Living a Balanced Life

I think getting one's life back in balance is the key to any substance abuse program. I encourage you and your family to look into SMART if you are not familiar with it. Best of luck!