What's new

A way out of procrastination and achieve your goals

Chris Jeff

It isn't a cool experience for me having so much to do and not being able to handle it all. I wake up early to begin work, I tell myself that I have to finish all my important works but, I find myself doing all the unimportant things and saving the important ones for later. I try to stop procrastinating my important works but I haven't had much progress overcoming it.
Does anyone have any ideas of ways of stopping procrastination? Or steps to take to avoid procrastinating

WendyM

Hi Chris,

Here's an idea that has worked for me. Start by completing one important task, then reward yourself by doing one unimportant task. The key for me is to set a timer for 10 to 20 minutes while working on the unimportant task so I don't get lost in it. Once the time is up, tackle another important task, complete it, and reward yourself with another 10 to 20-minute unimportant task. Repeat the process until your important projects for the day have been finished. Hope this helps!

hladik

What I've found it's that there are certain places where I can't really concentrate. I avoid those when I need to do something important. I also try my best to eat before starting so I’m not thinking about that kind of stuff.

A place where you could look more info is college info geek, it’s centred on college tips but there is a ton of information about how to stop procrastinating.

Ssandra

It isn't a cool experience for me having so much to do and not being able to handle it all. I wake up early to begin work, I tell myself that I have to finish all my important works but, I find myself doing all the unimportant things and saving the important ones for later. I try to stop procrastinating my important works but I haven't had much progress overcoming it.
Does anyone have any ideas of ways of stopping procrastination? Or steps to take to avoid procrastinating

The Pomodoro technique works for me. It is basically only start working on something for 20 minutes. Or if that is too long, just 10 minutes. Or if even that feels too long, just 1 minute.
What matters is that you start. Just start for 1 minute. If you feel like continuing when the time is up, go ahead. If not, you can take a 15 minute break.

It may seem useless to only work on something for 1 minute, but trust me, one minute is still more than zero minutes ;)
Also, you will often find that once you start working on something, you will not want to quit after 1 minute, but might make it 5 minutes or even 10...

Little by little you can up from 1 minute to 2 minutes to 5 minutes, etc.

https://tomato-timer.com/

Nick Torn

I have been interested about the same and I think the best way for me was writing all things that I need to do in simple way. So never write something in hard way like "Document Object Model" in your to-do list, you need to make it simple like "Learn what is DOM". Because if you will write that in another way, you will forget what this means and what you need to do with it.

Anyway, I think if it cannot help you then you need to find time when you exactly can do that and not others things. If you don't have time for it, then try to make others things quickly and you will get it. I think Pomodoro technique good, but not for all things. Sometimes it can't work and you will not be focused, because you will get something very important to-do.

AllisonE

When I was in school, it helped me to go the library or book a private room to study in. The library made me want to work because I went all the way there to do it and everyone else there was working as well. Maybe you could find somewhere like a library, coffee shop, etc., that makes you want to work. I sometimes find working from home hard, especially if there are other people around.

Chris Jeff

Hi Chris,

Here's an idea that has worked for me. Start by completing one important task, then reward yourself by doing one unimportant task. The key for me is to set a timer for 10 to 20 minutes while working on the unimportant task so I don't get lost in it. Once the time is up, tackle another important task, complete it, and reward yourself with another 10 to 20-minute unimportant task. Repeat the process until your important projects for the day have been finished. Hope this helps!
Thanks Wendy, I'll try this idea..it seems easy and I should be able to finish important task with the reward system. This would help me cover alot of tasks at hand without worry