What's new

10,000 steps a day

Do you use a step counter?

• Total voters

AllisonE

They say that everyone (that can) should aim to take 10,000 steps a day.
I have started trying this and using a step counter on my phone, but I began with 6,000 and now I have a goal of 8,000 each day which I usually reach so I think I will start aiming for 10,000 soon.
I should probably start working out too, but I think this is a great start and I go for walks with my dog anyway!

eman12771

Do you go out of your way to reach this goal or did you notice you were already hitting 6,000 steps in your day-to-day life? Now that you mention it, I didn't realize there were apps that counted steps! Since I spend most of my day sitting (I'm an accountant), I imagine that might count would be fairly low. I'm going to search for an app and count my steps tomorrow out of curiosity. Thank you for provoking the motivation in me!

Tiajanay

When I was working full-time in retail I always hit that 10000 mark just from helping customers around the store. Now that I'm part time and working from home, I imagine my number is much lower now. Defiantly have to put on my smart watch and get back on it

mr0001

I agree that my step count has changed depending on my work situation. I used to have a job where I had to work in an office for 12-14 hours a day and sat in front of a computer screen for much of it. My step count was around 2,000 then. Now, my schedule is a lot more flexible and changes regularly and I have less computer work. I'm up to about 6,000-7,000 on a normal day but 10,000 is my goal!

Akita

I use the step counter on my iPhone and aim for a daily goal of 7,000. Walking my dog a few times a day usually does the trick.

krt2018

I work in an office, so step goals are hard to reach! I make it a point to get up and take a walk around our business park at least once or twice a day. It helps to get some fresh air and sunshine anyway :) Then I also walk my dogs in the evening. I can usually hit 6-8k, but 10k is hard. You have to be active pretty consistently all day to hit that or do a long walk/run. Good luck! Step counters are awesome, even if you don't hit the goals, it's a permanent reminder to move!

EliGray

10,000 steps a day is a very ambitious goal to reach, but it is also a very good one for your body. Not only is it good for you muscles and helps keep you in shape, it also is really good for your heart, due to the cardiovascular exercise.

neoninfinity

I've never been much into counting steps. I hear a lot of other people talk about it, and if it works for you, then great! For me, just saying I'm going to walk for a half hour or get on the treadmill for a half hour seems to work for me. I feel energized and like I'm achieving something. I don't necessarily worry about a certain amount of steps. If counting steps is easier for you, then go for it. But, sometimes, just finding a good exercise you like and committing to it for a certain amount of time a day can be just as effective.

Ecoleman24

Between the app on my phone and my previous use of FitBit (loved that thing before my dog ate it) my steps are counted in some way shape or form and I find it quite motivational. If I set my goal for say 7500 steps for the day and I see that I'm 300 steps away from making that goal in the evening I'll make time to go for a walk just to get those last few steps in! I've even walked around the house and up and down the steps over and over just to make a goal. So they really do work to get me up and going (bum knee days notwithstanding lol)

Ecoleman24

They say that everyone (that can) should aim to take 10,000 steps a day.
I have started trying this and using a step counter on my phone, but I began with 6,000 and now I have a goal of 8,000 each day which I usually reach so I think I will start aiming for 10,000 soon.
I should probably start working out too, but I think this is a great start and I go for walks with my dog anyway!
It is a great start Allison and I think it is wise that you are taking it slow and working your way up! Going all in and trying to go from being somewhat sedentary (3000 to 5000 steps a day) to 10K steps a day could backfire on a person and actually cause them to lose motivation.

nfilas

I got a Fitbit in Feb for my birthday and it is my new obsession to reach 10,000 steps daily. I recently also began walking in the morning and doing interval walk/run at night which both help a ton. I do have to admit some days it has been hard to get this accomplished. Since I am a stay at home mom of two and have no chance to go excercise by myself I have even taken to walking the first floor of my house round and round for a while to get steps in and the kids love it. So I do anything I can to get it accomplished. Tip, download the app achievement and link whatever step counter you have to it. Eventually (which takes a bit) you will get points everyday and be able to receive a gift card for something you already do. It automatically syncs with whatever you use so you don’t have to do anything!

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I voted "no" but I used to. So it's somewhat "yes" because I got so used to what 10,000 steps felt like that I know when I have done it and when I haven't. :)